Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 18, 2014

April 18, 2014

“lonely millenials”
By Brandon Cook

with one hand out the window and one on the wheel a smirk on my face
as you'd change the song and still, happiness was all I could feel
from cruising lane to passing we reeled our lives out as far as we
could and continued casting there were no fields of gold no jealous
skies years have passed and your once familiar face has aged into
someone I don't recognize I miss you little lady and feel bad about
what I put you thru from behind computer screens to the parking lot of
toy story 3 lonely millenials awaiting love's debut 3D glasses, slight
passes beginnings of something I thought I knew endings of everything
I did storms over Hastings had you inviting me in your twin size kept
us safe until morning, I said I'd see u soon but my ex attacked
without warning it was all downhill from there just as she wished a
puppet master from afar sabotaging everything she'd miss you gave me
an earful which I know I deserved severe disconnect and the road
curved never replied, never manned up an invitation I'm prepared for
but it’s too late to make a stand, huh?
do u ever think of me? probably not
no one’s squeezed my hand as hard since and I suppose that's all I got
no complaints but plenty of guilt our best laid plans taken from us
blueprints for summer love and a house not many have built what
happened don’t exist what happened never did no alibis or evidence will ever make it live.
 
[See April 2’s posting for a brief statement about Brandon Cook.]

* * * * * * * * * *

“Le mó Mhark”
By Emily Stuckenbruck
 
Ta mo stór imó chroi.                     
Coinnigh mo chroi ina lámha.     
Le anois.                             
Le amarach.                                       
Bhí mo postá mo grá é  
Le gach lá i mó chinniúint.
 
“For my Mark”
By Emily Stuckenbruck

My precious love is my center.
He holds my heart in his hands.
For now.
For tomorrow.
He will be my core
For every day of my life.

“This poem is written in Irish-Gaelic for my amazing husband, Mark.  I often fail to find the right English words to describe how much he means to me. I hope this poem as Gaeilge conveys my love and appreciation for him more precisely.”