Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 21, 2014

April 21, 2014


“Untitled”
By Rachel Yeomans

Such inspirations I can feel
That make me want to shout and squeal
When I see you I am content
I feel our friendship won't relent
"Whatever happens" whate're that be
I somehow feel you're there for me
And although feelings aren't the best
(They quake and change, and never rest)
Mine for you are not misplaced
I love you and am not abased
I feel whatever this we're in
This bond we have that's stretched too thin
I somehow feel through the drawn lines
Our love will stand the tests of time

“This poem is about the mixed emotions one gets when their best friend becomes their first love.”
* * * * * * * * * *


“Our Soldier, My Son”
By Gena Lindner

My wounded mother’s heart awaits
To see again my soldier son.
Till the day I see his face
The final battle won’t be won.

Lord, give him comfort through my prayers,
Though many miles keep us apart,
And hear his call in time of need
As you dwell within his heart.

God help me keep my trust in you
Until he at last is home to stay.
Bring back the joy to my heart
That war has taken away.

Our soldier, my son
This journey has just begun.
Lord, guard him from the enemy
And keep his spirit strong.

Heal my heart,
Return to me
Our soldier, My son
[See April 19's posting for a brief statement about Gena Lindner.]