Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 25, 2014

April 25, 2014

"Two Betrothed"
By Rachel Yeomans


 1 I'm bliss here. Why so?
   It is us two
   Just me and you
   A chance together that we've
        never had before

 2 Leave this place? Why never!
   Why should I ever
   If this is better
   Than anything I've known in
        years before

 3 Break from your grasp? I'll die
   Before would I
   Depart from thy
   Luminous beauty which is shining
        brighter than before

 4 Lady, my love, my dear?
   Could you but hear
   What I feel near
   This moment coming stronger
        than ever before

 5 Will you marry me? Oh joy!
   I shall deploy
   All of my love
   Sharing life closer with you
        than ever before

 6 Shall we regret this? Nonsense!
   From this day hence
   Our hearts cement
   As we pass each day fuller
        than before

 7 I am complete. Are you?
   We love so true
   What we shall do
   Is pledge commitment more
        than e're before

 8 Will times grow tough? They will
   But darling still
   We'll work it through
   And finish more united
        than before

 9 We're not alone, alright?
   There's help and might
   In other's plight
   That have been couples made
        in years before

10 This night has waned. How true!
   I always will love you.
   Our moment is now due
   The curtain closes on a scene as
        precious as before

"This was supposed to be a story about a couple getting engaged beneath an old tree carved with other lovers' initials. The man is talking throughout the whole thing, asking questions to his fiancé. At the end (10th verse) they are old and visit that tree again before they die."

* * * * * * * * * *

"Softness of a Silent Soul"
By Carolee Salat

Heron
Blue-grayness sweeps to waters edge
The silent shape of S in flight
My soul wrapped

In one moment
No breath
No air
Nothing

Those prehistoric wings
beat
and he is
gone

"I am a resident of Land O'Lakes, Wisconsin. As a mother, outdoorswoman, amateur photographer, poet, and artist, I am constantly searching for my sense of place and identity through my art. My work is spurred on by my husband, 12-year-old son, and two humongous dogs. Plus living surrounded by beauty, doesn't hurt either."