Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

April 3, 2014

"Out of Reach"
Maranatha Rauchle
 
Can someone please tell me...
what in the world is love?! I always wanted to fall into it.
But in all seriousness, is it worth looking forward to
In another era, I strung my heart out on the line
And though it was battered and beaten,
I figured, no pain...then it wasn't real
Screw love. I go a year with ignoring...
well nice to meet u too! thanks for the sweets
we do our little dance and I begin to care
yet, I feel like a number on one's list
I return to my land of ice and him to the sun
Nevertheless, I was tenacious
A new found connect in the countryside, hmmmm
he loved few, but sadly I felt higher on the number line
oh my, as it turned out, I was number tres of a perfectly squared dos
shame, shame...
‘twas seething with resentment for all
however, that is unjust
here again, I am cutting my heart away from the eyes of the game
I care, but not too much
thinking, thinking...will I try again? truly?
All should know, Prince Charming or your beautiful, innocent bride-to-be,
are something known as a mirage
Do you not know, that life as being is a enormous dessert in sweltering heat
ready to drain you dry? Fools...
Methinks I shall hide it away along with my soul, in the dark abyss


“I wrote this poem over three years ago. I’d like to mention, I’ve found my true love since then.”

* * * * * * * * * *

"We Request"
By Genie Mckenzie

Stanch and official, they stand,
Silhouetted in sunshine,
Envelope in hand.

“So sorry”, they say.

Shards of memory bombarded my brain.
First flutter within my womb,
Bloody knee seeking mother’s kiss,
Youthful stubble
Pressed against my cheek,
“Bye Mom, don’t wait up.”

Great God of heaven,
Is this the price of freedom,
Cold casket holding a son
Who could not bear to see his mother cry?
 
Guns fire the grand salute,
Through desolations dirge
I hear again his voice,
“Bye, Mom, don’t wait up.”

Submitted by a daughter on behalf of her mother: “She has always loved writing and reading poetry. She has attended the School of Arts for several years in their poetry classes. She has a book of poems written and made up for sale with all her original poetry. She is 82 years old and lives in Rhinelander and continues to enjoy writing poetry.”