Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 17, 2015

April 17, 2015

"A Slave’s Perspective"
By Arianna Will
 
An American Holocaust - the Atlantic slave trade,
Three dark deathly months rotting away.
Only to have my life to go on, that’s all I prayed.
A never ending trip on prison, that I must stay.
Battling only to make it through today.
I no longer doubted my fate,
Only to end up as the white man’s prey.
To be free - a life long wait.
To watch others perish as the whites dictate,
And watch my family be ripped away from me.
The rulers in the States await,
For their workers that work for free.
Too much hateful torture at sea,
Living in result of the white man’s greed.
All of us slaves can surely agree
Our death is guaranteed.         
To live underneath the feet of a white stampede,
This cruel life is almost incomprehensive.
“Let me live! Let me be free!” I plead.
To one day, become free, is the objective.
See through my eyes - a slave’s perspective.

“I am a student from Northland Pines currently taking Intro to Philosophy with Professor Teter."

* * * * * * * * *

“Droplets”
By Scott Fiocchi


We,
Droplets in the great roar of a waterfall,
We each find a our own place to fall,
But in the end fate finds us all,
And in this huge river,
Everyone must find their own space,
Among the infinite droplets of the water.


[Scott Fiocchi also submitted a poem for April 2.]