Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

April 21, 2015

No new poetry submission by students for today’s posting.

* * * * * * * * * *

“Fool’s Fun"            
By Betty White


In my wildest of dreams, the Creator came by
with a Fool’s Day assignment to “high-jinks” the sky
He didn’t say how but I think I know why: 

he knew I hatch plots and be ready to try

I’ll wrinkle the clouds so they shadow the pool…………
sprinkle cold raindrops where hollyhocks drool
I’ll crinkle a rainbow where chroma is king;

and twinkle the stars where the night-merries sing

I’ll wrinkle the dipper and let it drip dry………
I’ll sprinkle the wild blue yonder will I
I’ll crinkle the cheeks of the cheesy old guy;

then twinkle the stars to bid daylight goodbye

I’ll crinkle the milky way………arch it up high;
sprinkle gold stardust across the dark sky
I’ll wrinkle the moonlight for love new and shy;

and twinkle Andromeda for young ones to spy

I’ll wrinkle the horizon; edge it with gold;
Sprinkle lit fireflies brave children can hold
I’ll crinkle the spectrum, then let it unfold;
and twinkle the heavens: a sight to behold

I’ll sprinkle the azure with sky potpourri;
crinkle the galaxy like lace filigree
I’ll wrinkle the comet’s tail; set its fire free;

and twinkle the North Star to wink down at me

And then, when the crinkling and wrinkling’s all done,
I’ll go into orbit for one more fun run
I’ll check out my handiwork……
stars, moon, and sun;
and hope the result is Good Job, and Well Done

"My husband and I moved to Rhinelander in 1968. My husband worked at Nicolet first in automotive, then started development of the welding program. I worked for Rhinelander School District getting libraries set up in several of the elementary schools. We moved into our home on Rhinelander's Park Ridge Court a year ago, after spending 42 years raising our family on Eastern Avenue. I like to rhyme wonderful words and bring a smile to the reader (or listener)."