Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

April 9, 2015

“Words are Power”
By Nicole Babich


Why would you listen to the caged bird’s song?
Over and over did you sing along?
Realizing even broken voices matter?
Did you feel caged inside, did your heart pitter patter?
Serenade now and loud and often
Words are Power; a personal intention
Authentic, Resilient, Emotional
Words are power, have I mentioned?
Play it proudly, your yearning voice
Opportunity is here now make the choice
Wise is the bird who sings despite the cage
Every word is masterpiece gracing a page
Recognize your spirit, embrace your soul
Words are Power; did I catch your attention?


“I am in my final semester as a Nicolet student, thrilled with my time and experiences here. I am moving forward into psychology studies and enjoy writing in my spare time.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“When Will I Know?”
By Sharon Peterson


There were an awful lot of choices
     of anchors in the store.
I picked mine out years ago; nothing too
     complicated.  No fancy stuff or add-on features.
Everyone picked out something.


Then it was time to study the manual and
     practice anchor use.
Spend time with people who have used the
     model I chose.
(They all say that it worked for them.)


I used the anchor many times on a lake,
     early, when the fog clung to the quiet water.
Even tested it on the river when
     the current pulled hard downstream.
It held…… but……


One can’t plan an emergency for
     testing purposes.
Can my anchor hold this skiff
     when I’m in real trouble?
When will I know for sure?


Then the tsunami wave comes to drag
     all loose treasures, out to sea.
When lights and motor have failed, and all that’s
     left between me and the terrifying undertow is
The anchor…


Then… I’ll know.

“Life has a way of revealing what’s really underneath. I have found that my anchor is holding.”