Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 22, 2016

April 22, 2016

“Words”
By Lydia O’Brien  

How dare they?
Laugh at me
Mock me
Elude me

I’m trying to say—
There they go again
Leaving
But staying

Why can’t I find them?
They’re here
But they’re not here
Impudence

See how they play
Using me
But how?
They're so small

I want to tell you
I want to
But I can’t.
They aren't here right now

* * * * * * * * * *

“Carroll”
By Barbara Young

    Caring and compassionate
    Alone but not lonely
  a Real lady !
   cRafter extraordinaire
    Old friend
    Lab lover
    Left this world today   4-20-2016

“I heard this afternoon that a friend died this morning and I would like to submit this poem. (My first ever!)”