Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

April 26, 2016

“Marble”
By Colleen Egan

tenderly, old ancient hands created
and i found beauty in the palm of mine,
caressing, soft cheeks so hollow;

do you think i don’t dream of breathing,
brushing out the white dust
speckled in your lungs?

your hands are sculpted, so cold
but they hold me gently;
marbled veins pressing for release.

“I fell in love with Bernini’s marble sculptures during my Art Appreciation class last semester. I never knew I could experience such extravagant, emotional beauty until I met someone who proved me wrong.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“Upon hearing the news of Joe Callahan’s passing”
By Wendy Thiede

It’s minus ten in the northwoods today,
Bowing branches heavily laden with snow, 
Misty blue sky, frost crystals in the sun.
Yesterday, dinner with friends,
A spectacular almost-win by the Packers.

I remember a warmer day
Walking home from school with you, Joe Callahan.
Blue, blue eyes, freckles adorning your Irish American face, 
Strawberry blond crew cut, carefree smile.
You gave me a Friendship ring, touched my emerging heart.
Sixty years did not erase the image of that day. 

Facebook brought the news.  I cry now
For you and for all the hearts you touched
And for the fleeting of our lives.
Rest in Peace Joe Callahan.

“After retiring to the north woods eleven years ago, following a career as a high school English teacher, I now enjoy the time to write.”