Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 4, 2016

April 4, 2016

No poetry submission by students for today's posting.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Warmth In the Winter"
By Andy Beach

A brisk winter morn
In Mid January
bundled up in clothes
I feel dwarfed by this mountain of cloth.

I waddle down the street
through the crowds of people
hobbling around, all rolly polly
like overstuffed scarecrows.

The once short walk
from the subway to my building
seems to take hours 
but alas, I am finally there.

as I stand in the lobby 
peeling away my garments
like the layers of an onion
dripping as though crying.

In this state of great dishevel
fighting with a stubborn goulash
she suddenly appears
and taps me on the shoulder.

I smile in shock and horror
God I must look awful
she looks as beautiful as ever
why is she here? Is she still married?

My garments fall to the side
as I slip into her arms
as she hugs me close my mind drifts away
she always smelled so good.

Idle chit chat buzzes in the air
but my mind is elsewhere
I loved her for many years
but never found the courage to tell her.

She tells me of her divorce
from her rich snobby husband
of three lovely kids, her cottage in New England
How can this be, she still seems so young?

We agree to meet for lunch
to catch up on old times
a kiss on the cheek and she is gone
Oh my god I'm blushing like a school boy!

All morning I am distracted
I swear I can still smell her perfume
such an exotic aroma
which leads to thoughts of many things.

At last lunch is here
and I cross the street 
to a quaint romantic café
where she is waiting when I arrive.

Another kiss on the cheek 
and then we are shown to our table
Now I have to try to walk
God I hope I'm able.

The food and wine flow freely
and by the time the meal is over 
a smile is upon my face
as her fingers are entwined with mine.

She looks into my eyes
like she is looking into my soul
in her eyes a flicker of recognition
she now knows what I know.
Phone numbers are exchanged
and then a kiss before parting ways
but this time on the lips
who knows what the future holds

As I watch her walk away
the wind cuts at my back
but as she disappears from sight
the day seems not as cold.

"I am an adjunct public safety instructor for Nicolet College."