Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April 1, 2014

"Dance"
By Iris Linder

Black hair
Blue eyes
White dress
Slender arms
Twirling, twisting, spinning
The girl dances
Lost inside her mind
Silent
Hidden
Invisible
Eyes sparkling
Looking at the boy
Golden hair
Green eyes
Jean and jacket
Confident
Handsome
Angry
Scared
Watching the girl
Dance

"I am seventeen years old. I have been writing since I could ride a bike, and I finished my first story at age four. Since that time, I have finished several short stories and a few longer stories. Currently, I am working on a novel set in the dystopian future of North America. The working title is 'The Great Devastation.'"

* * * * * * * * * *

"Leigh"
By Mike Skubal

My princess of the all night market,
cynical babbling babe,
half a dollar from destruction,
half a bottle from the pain. She
had a slapdash way of making up her face.
Each night outside the market
she'd beg, cajole, and berate,
but sometimes
her eyes would clear,
devastating in their shame.
My princess of the all night market,
companion of the small hours,
small pink hours of the night.

"I've worked with words my whole life and wrote my first poem in high school, Rhinelander High School."