Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 28, 2014

April 28, 2014

"Dreams Don't Rule Us"
By Nicole Babich


On Hamlet
"A dream itself is but a shadow" (Shakespeare, Act 2, Scene 2, Line 245).


I've had a dream that has made me shake
I made a terrible mistake
However I woke up and didn't need to ponder
But then the dream kept following me from down yonder
Is it real or is it not
Will it happen later? Well that's a terrible thought
It was only a nightmare though
Soon away it will go
I'm blessed I can tell reality from a dream
I know I don't have to worry about how things seem
In dreams I don't believe for more than a minute
With his however Hamlet became intimate
Hamlet was troubled, his madness revealed
Whereas in the back of my head my thoughts are concealed
Some dreams happen and some disappear
I can tell the difference between a dream and a day
Sanity is not a price I have to pay
My dreams are no more than shadows; I'm certainly blessed
I worry for a moment and then forget like the rest.


[See April 5's posting for a brief statement about Nicole Babich.]

* * * * * * * * * *

“Red Rupp”
By Victor Kiedrowski
 
Red Rupp,
riding in the snow.
I’ll take you wherever I go.
Red Rupp,
oh so cool.
Vintage ’72 is real old school.
Vintage sleds are oh so nice,
I’ll take you on the lake, on snow, and ice.
Ah Red Rupp.
Red Rupp vintage,
Red Rupp old.
You are meant for the snow and cold.
Red Rupp all around the neighborhood.
While other people say, “you’re looking good”.
The Rupp at a bar,
the Rupp on the trails,
the Rupp at the mailbox
picking up the mail.
One thing is true: I like Rupps.
Red Rupp,
riding in December.
You are a thing I’ll always remember.
Guess what? 
Everywhere I haul
a red chunk of metal that I love overall.
I wish there wasn’t spring. 
I wish there wasn’t summer. 
‘Cause not riding my Rupp is a real big bummer. 
Everything I say is meant to be about the Rupp. 
It’s the only thing I focus on, now that I’m grown up. 
Red Rupp in the morning,
Red Rupp in the night. 
If you write an answer for my favorite thing
Red Rupp is always right. 
Red Rupp with my buddies,
Red Rupp all alone.
The only part I don’t like is when I come home. 
I wish that I could snowmobile all through July.
But I think because I can’t I’m going to have to cry. 
The Red Rupp is my buddy.
The Red Rupp is my friend. 
I’ll ride the Red Rupp snowmobile
‘til life is at its end. 
 
Per Victor’s mother: “Victor is in the second grade at Mercer Elementary School. He really enjoys writing. He is often found at the desk in his room, outside, at the kitchen table, and/or downstairs on the computer writing poems, small illustrated books, short plays for himself and his two younger sisters to act out, etc. -– just about anything!”