Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

April 29, 2014

“A Grieving World”
By Nicole Babich
 
On Beowulf
“Suche fantasies ben in myn hede
So I noot what is best to do.”


A man with a gun shoots children at an elementary school
Men with a bomb attack a marathon too.
The head of the IRS is being investigated
The Benganzi attacks may have been premeditated
All of these issues haunt my brain
I see in the world so much pain
My dog has been put down
Because of the world I feel guilty for having my own frown
Sometimes I feel like I just can’t go on
The stress and the anxiety on me fall upon
How can I have my own worries
When the world is going all topsy turvy
I haven’t been shot at, been bombed, been attacked
But I feel the pressure breaking my back
I can’t fix it all but I always try
I pray and I pray but the people still cry
I send condolences to my friend whose baby is dead
But then a tornado roars straight ahead
I cannot accept the pain and the unfairness
What happened to all the love and the sweetness?
These are the thoughts that keep me awake
They make me shiver; they make me shake
How can I live in a world with no light?
I ponder these things each day and night
Strange fantasies have been in my head
Would it be better if I gave up instead?
Could I stop trying and hoping for the world to be a better place?
Defeat is a measure I don’t want to face
Like this author I ponder and pine
For a time when I stop worrying about grief, the world’s and mine

[See April 5’s posting for a brief statement about Nicole Babich.]

* * * * * * * * * *

“Carrion On”
By David Rogers
 
Vulture infidels        Eight
In sun-burned waste of palmetto and live oak;
I pause to watch a dark ceremony
Under pillars of latent thunder.
 
A Brahman calf
Torn fresh        That chest
Still weighing the first breaths of life, 
Now a font for visceral stew.
 
Beaks of seven scythes perched on
Raw necks glisten in gorging,
When        one broad cowl rises,
A bald eagle at Cocytus.
 
Bloodied crown and white collar
Amid the dancing jackals,
I hold a long frozen breath
And drop a traitor            Single shot.
 
[David Rogers is an adjunct instructor of English.]