Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April 1, 2015

“Bard”
By Benji Haling


I am a bard
Not a doctor, lawyer, or engineer
And I don’t have a business card
But a bard
A lyrical star
If you ever want to find one
You don’t have to look very far
Our noses are stuck between two pages
And our hands are strumming against our heads
Trying to rhythmically extract the thoughts from our brains
And inscribing them with some lead
It's not what we do that defines us but what we write
For it's not just who we are but also who we hope to be
Creating heroes, villains, romance, and tragedy for the world to see
I am a bard
I want to rock, roll, soothe, soften, break, repair, exalt, and crush the soul
When my audience is done reading or listening I want there to be a hole
One that can only be filled with more of my work
Seeing the world in a new light can be a curse or a perk
I am a bard
Words flow through me as easily
As emotions, they come naturally
I’m a bard and sometimes I can’t help it
But to accidentally flaunt it
Though I’d be lying to say it never felt good
To make others feel daunted
I have an intellect
Creatively
Masking the world into what I want it to be
Because when you see a blue, I see a blue
But do I see the same blue as you
For me the blue has an inner hue
Of a restless and yearning to be unbounded being, barely subdued
By a calm exterior waiting for the opportune moment
I see all that because I’m a writer, a composer, and a poet
I am a bard
Lo and behold it
I’m a creator of life
And all my characters know it
They exist in the head and heart
Of every listener and not till death do they part
I am a bard
And you better know it


My name is Benji Haling and I'm doing the university transfer program. I like long boarding with my dog, chess, camping trips to the boundary waters, and soccer. I'm currently writing a book and I hope to get it published someday. 

* * * * * * * * * *

“A Memory in Three Movements”
By Rebecca Koshak


1. water music

she hears this song
and it makes her think of you
on the Rialto
hearing the gondolas swish below in the canal
Venice, afloat with lights
as darkness coats the waters


desidero che la vostra musica potrebbe echeggiare ancora!

2. strength

and she knows you, again
when she sees the photographs
taken of your skyline
another day dawns February
and chill is the wind and the sea


a staund ontae ye ben an see ye docht.

3. eternal city

and you
oh, she remembers you
you of the seven hills
your history, viewed in every corner


urbs eternus, vestri vita est a admiratio!

and the memories
of these things that you gave her
she keeps safe


believing that one day
she will know each of your embraces again.


The three cities of this poem are Venice, Edinburgh, and Rome, all of which I visited in the spring semester of 2008. I felt that including more cities would defeat the purpose of the poem, even though I loved London, Florence, and Dublin as well. Each city here has a language set for it. Here's the meaning of the phrases:

Venice: Italian: I wish that your music could echo again!
Edinburgh: Scots: I stand on your mountain and witness your strength.
Rome: Latin: Eternal City, your life is a wonder!