Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 10, 2015

April 10, 2015

“In Love with Wisconsin-Fall”
By Benwood Attis

It was after summer when we first met
We went to walk in Wisconsin in a sun set
You come every year for this pact
When I met you, I knew it was a fact

From that moment our love did grow
I liked you as we started to chat
About anything, or this and that
Then something special happened to show
 
It was by your side I wanted to be
You traveled down for me with a chickadee
And I had a little present for you
We went in the park to make it through
 
We went by the lakes for hours we talked
Then back to the green grass we had a dance
Round and round then I took a chance
I leaned toward you and stopped our walk
 
I never knew it would be like this
I had to stay to enjoy another kiss
We spent the evening so close together
Next day we walked by the river
 
The river bathed naked humming
In the very clear water of an awesome creek
Where we saw sharp reflection swirling
In the hollow of nature’s breasts like milk
 
The beauty of your sun shone
To illuminate the reflection of sequins
What an evening happiness shown
To bring me closer to you in seconds
 
That day, the beautiful hills had dressed
The prettiest on earth were the forests
They wore the most fascinating colors
The sweet breeze reminded me it was yours
 
The lakes were the most preferred
The song of the birds were the sweetest
The caress of the rain was the greatest
Your nature is love without Word
 
Your leaves that flew so quietly
Brought pride when people said suddenly,
“I love the red, yellow, orange, or purple!”
But my hue for you is pink, for they know!
 
Tender leaves, mocking leaves
The fantastic leaves that want to leave
The leaves alone and distraught
The leaves that would shout
 
Leaves that suddenly bump
Leaves that suddenly jump
Leaves that would blow and flee
Leaves that makes my heart happy

The leaves that make me sing
The red leaves like blood in my veins
It's your heart my sweet princess
Against my warm and hard chest
 
In your fall, Wisconsin, I tasted my first berry
Your cheese brought me an awesome glory
For I knew I was in the world-greatest dairy
And I wanted to stay there with you, Cherie
 
As for my heart, nothing is better
To be in the joyful season of our nature
If you could be the only one there
That would make my life last forever
 
Since I will not see you until another year
I will be strong, hopeful, and not fear
I will be faithful until your next call
For my heart is in love with Wisconsin-Fall

“I enjoy beautiful nature. When I first came to Wisconsin in the fall, I went to visit some places, and I found out that the fall season in Wisconsin was God’s greatest gift I’ve ever seen. In this poem I describe this nature especially the fall season. I also express my intimate passion and love with Wisconsin-Fall.”
 

* * * * * * * * * *

“Spring”
By Rich Ruffalo


Sun glisten off a layer of white.
Water dripping from the roof tops,
crocus pushing through the crusted snow
in brilliant blues.
Windows smudged with the smoke of winter's fires.


Rushing water over frozen dams,
winter's tears as spring comes in.
Slowly, so slowly it tenderly creeps
bringing sounds of birds and
creatures waking from long naps.


The pussy willow shows its buds.
The days grow longer from morning to night.
The road, once hard with ice, has given in to a watery sludge.


It's all a part of winter's grand exit.
God's wisdom at work.
Spring is coming.
I can hear it.
I can feel it.
And yes, I can see it


“I often sit on my deck in the evening enjoying the sounds of nature. This was from one of those evenings. I live in Conover and have for 15 years. I retired up here from Aurora, Illinois. My wife of 48 years passed away 7 years ago. I’ve always loved to write and really got into it more since her passing. We both loved the sights and sounds of the north and have made it our home.”