Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

April 19, 2015

"Frozen Waters"
By Courtney Heller

As the weather begins to warm
My surface slowly starts to fade
Please help the process hurry up
Because I want to get out of the winter shade

Only you can help me out
The fish below are no use with this
I want to feel the summer warmth soon
So we can create a summer of bliss

Together we can make everyone happy
My shallows warmed by your rays
People and fish will spend their days with us
But that is just a part of the summer phase

Right now they are just sitting and waiting
For you to take away my icy layer
I don’t know how much longer they can wait
You need to keep your sky from getting greyer

My top is blocking you from my view
And I hope to see you very soon
But first you need to warm the air
So I can be ready for the events in June

This winter has been long enough
So I hope you stick around this summer
Because you’ve been away for far too long
And if you don’t it will really be a bummer

"I am from Northland Pines High School, and this is my poem about frozen waters."

* * * * * * * * * * 

"Olive Grove on the Sea"
Rebecca Koshak

Warm sultry winds
Roll in from the ocean
The air is tart
And full of words

Though nothing has yet been said

The olive trees are
Dark with their burdens
They flutter sleepily
In the coming night

Stay here with me and we’ll drink the sunset dry

You are my olive grove
Weighed with your load
You are my sunset
Defying the pending dark

And all the spoken words escape me in a crash of ocean waves

"Snow Patrol's song "Olive Grove Facing the Sea" inspired this poem. I have never actually seen an olive grove."