Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 20, 2015

April 20, 2015

“Reload”
By Benjamin Haling

Kick back
Don’t relax
My shell hits the ground
A small explosion then no sound
A wisp of gray smoke
One more croak
Part the red sea
Through the crown
All that matters leaves
In his regrets he drowns
Save a life
End a life
Will not solve a person’s strife
Will not solve a person’s sorrow
Will not bring a better tomorrow
One door closes and another will open
Everything gets fixed, everything gets broken
A fate is bestowed
Reload

[Benjamin Haling also submitted a poem for April 1 and April 2.]

* * * * * * * * * *

“Such Is Life”
By Norma Semling

I shall be tomorrow
what I am today.
Only the unknown
will get in the way.
If the path that I take
sends me astray
then I will not let that wrong turn
ruin my day.
There really is no one
that can predict
just where we will be.
I make my own choices
It’s all up to me.
We can all make a wish
or hope for a dream
but it’s how we handle life
and our self-esteem.
So if you ask me today
where I’ll be in five years
I promise you this
I will have conquered my fears.
I will not worry about small things
for they only cause tears.
There are so many reasons
to enjoy precious years.

[Norma Semling also submitted a poem for April 4 and April 13.]