Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 1, 2016

April 1, 2016

"Forgot to Clean My Sink"
By Aaron Mangerson

I was washing my face. When I saw this disgrace. How dare it take hold in my sink? 

Twas a thick film of guck. That made me go Yuk. And waved as it gave me a wink.

I tried not to stare. As it climbed out of there. Then it held out a hand for a shake. 

Don't know what it is. But that hand wasn't his. And most certainly wasn't a fake. 

I said listen here guck. I don't give a puck. Then I asked him to exit my place. 

Should have taken a few. To think this thing through. As he walked out the door with my face.

“I was born and raised in Rhinelander. I joined the Navy when I was eighteen years old and worked as an aviation support equipment technician and traveled the world for ten years. After I got out of the Navy, I lived in Clarkson, Washington, for three years. My marriage fell apart at the time, and writing was one of the main things that kept me sane. Now I write more for fun and enjoy making friends laugh at silly poems or creating an interesting story.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“Autumn Poem”
By Jane Banning

Seasons circle round
whole moments
lapsed
from golden sun
and sparkle on water
green of leaf
and warmed skin

to
a breeze 
a shift to redder, cooler
a chill
and a warm sweater will serve

it blushes the leaves bright 
and crisps the apple
a chipmunk rustles, 
then stares, 
brassy-eyed
and brisk

deer prance, 
quicker now
flanks duskier than in leisurely summer
acorns pock,  
nuthatches beep
the cat's fur has grown thick

we find the pumpkin recipe
spiced and orange smells 
fill the house
and warm the oven
preparing 
for the round bread of autumn

“Nature evokes so many images and emotions for me. After searching for a fall poem that wasn’t written with a rhyming scheme, I wrote this one to use at an Autumn Solstice yoga class that I teach. I like the parsimony and intensity of great poems. Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets.”