Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 15, 2016

April 15, 2016

"Video Game Romance"
By Samantha Reichl

I am wanderlust,
and yellow wool,
and oak saplings,
and obsidian,
and you are
a new
2048 block
Minecraft map.

"I'm currently a Youth Options student at Nicolet and am studying psychology to some day become a forensic psychiatrist in a prison. In my free time I write, read, and draw and in between my undergrad and graduate studies, I'd like to teach English in the Peace Corps."

* * * * * * * * * *

“Anhelo”
By Andy Beach
Translated by Ashly Hartmann and Joan Lefebvre (Spanish IV Students)

Anhelo una caricia dulce de ti
Una mirada gentil de tus ojos
Una palabra amable de tu corazón
Que acerque mi alma.

Anhelo abrazarte
Y tenerte cerca de mi corazón
Para sentir tu respiro sobre mi cuello
Y compartir mis pensamientos íntimos.

Anhelo caminar contigo a mi lado 
Y sentir tu mano en la mía
Para explorar juntos nuestros sueños
Y tocar las estrellas en el cielo.

Para despertarte conmigo a mi lado
Para despertarte de tus sueños
Con besos y una caricia gentil
Y susurrar que te amo.
----------
“I Long”
By Andy Beach

I long for a sweet touch from you
A gentle look from your eyes
A kind word from your heart
That reaches my very soul.

I long to wrap my arms around you
And hold you close to my heart
To feel your breath upon my neck
And share my innermost thoughts.

I long to walk with you beside me
And feel your hand in mine
To explore our dreams together
And touch the stars in heaven.

To wake up with me beside you
To stir you from your sleep
With kisses and a gentle touch
And whisper I love you.