Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

April 17, 2016

“World’s Toughest Job”
By Brianne Gunderson

I have the world’s toughest job
I have no days off, my head always throbs
I work long days and late nights
You can only see red in my eye where there’s supposed to be white
I receive no benefits or money
I work on rainy days or sunny
When things get crazy, I make it all calm
If you can’t guess what I do, I’ll tell you
I am a MOM! 

“I am in the transfer program at Southwest Tech and Nicolet. I will graduate this summer with my Associates degree and will transfer to UW-Platteville in the fall for Forensic Investigation. After I graduate with my Bachelor’s degree, I plan on moving down south to Arizona to hopefully start my career!”

* * * * * * * * * *

“Crown of Thorns” 
By She’haman

New freedom moves between your toes,
A winding weed within you grows
The wisdom deep inside you knows 
the wild spirit ever flows

Bow low before the ancient muse
Which carries elemental news
Of whence you come through fern and soil 
through time and space
Through rack and royal

Lift the veil and bring the dance
tossing ignorance askance
No king or claim can thwart your quest
Once you have donned this noble vest

Through fact of God you stand undone
Upon this throne of everyone

Belly slide through bramble mire
Scorching scales beguile fire
Straining wings propel us higher
Rocketing from morbid pyre

Into the black unknowing place
The home of fear and loving grace
Where stars reach out to cross the void
And on this course cannot avoid 
Through portal wide of mortal pain
Awakening to truth again

So, do not tary, wither, scare
These shaking hallows, hardly rare
There's no mistake upon the day
That wills to lead your soul astray 

each rage and shout and muffled weep
Is but a treasure for your keep
And when the scales are balanced true
Then harmony begins anew

Don't decline, as paltry
Gifts of modern time

With gratitude and words of praise 
we let our karmic journey raise
Until emerging vistas show 
Unfolding we could hardly know

If by chance someone complains
Of your failure to halt change
Forgive them well and tell them this:
(Nare will any detail miss)
Accept the truth - eternal bliss. 

"I am a 51-year-old mother of 3 ... recently moved to Three Lakes from 'Out West'. I was met by this little inspiration on the way here as I drove."