Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

April 16, 2016

“Beautiful Mother”
A haiku
By Jason Glodowski, Johnathon Lukowski, Justin Schulz, and 
Jessica Speth

Beautiful mother
My everything is for you
Forever are loved

* * * * * * * * * *

"Phantoms in the Fog"
By Macy Washow

It is an introverted day.
The fog folds in on itself
shrouding the lake with 
satiny
silence, erasing the world
but for a few snow-
covered pines,
artistically placed 
on a ground, unshaped, 
freshly white.
With its complexity 
hidden,
I think this a world I can 
manage.
I set the shovel by the 
door

And pause saving the 
purity.
Suddenly a tree vibrates 
as redpolls and juncos 
compete.
A vole undulates under 
the snow, leaving a thin 
line.
My dog pounces; his 
gigantic
paws and nose carving 
snow craters.
Then with the scrape of a 
snow plow
the world intrudes; my 
illusions
retreat, mere phantoms in 
the fog.

"I wrote this poem after one of our recent snow storms. The warm weather that had preceded the snow caused a fog to settle over the lake. It is one of a group of poems I call my Bed to Shower poems. I don’t think I am alone in finding some of the most creative moments occur in the shower. The trick is to hold onto the creative thought long enough to write it down!"