Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

April 23, 2016

“When Life Slows Down Too Fast”
By Leslie Lukas

It’s 9:37 p.m. on a Friday night
My hands smell like Dawn dish soap 
The blue kind
and bleach water
Finally work is done

My clothes reek of fryer grease and garlic buttermist 
Made in Wisconsin 
Sitting in my cold car 
I put the key in the ignition
The engine of my 96’ Corsica barely turns over

The moon illuminated the highway
Since my dim headlights don’t
I have Tropical twist cigarillos
Two for $1.69
Ride around and smoke
Blasting M83

That friend I only ever saw
At parties
Just got hit by a car last night
He’s dead now
But I still drive
Past the tire marks on the road
Still there after five months
I pray the shivers 
Shooting down my body
Go away one day
But they probably won’t

After arriving to the party of the night 
I trudge through the foot of snow 
to the cleared out area
for the fire where everyone
Is already running around 
Drunk

Everything fast
People running
Fire blazing
Smoke burning my eyes
I hate black bunnies
I hate black bunnies
I hate black bunnies

Snap of cans being opened
Car doors slamming
Wind rushing
Firewood being thrown
Onto the fire

My life and my eyes 
And my mind are
Slowing down
And I just wanted it at 
That moment to speed up
Again

“I'm currently a Youth Options student here at Nicolet. I look forward to attending Nicolet next year and transferring to UW-Milwaukee for my degree in English.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“Silent Sparkling Stars”
By Scott Fiocchi

Sing to me softly in the silken silver moonlight
Secure me solace as we gaze silently on the sparkling sea
Snap the solemn sound of the crashing waves with a smile
Submerse yourself in the scenery
Sit with me as our eyes shyly say hello to the stars
As they shine smoothly over all the sad souls
Their sore soliloquies seeming to stray into silent space
Spiriting the voices away into a swallowing void.

"I had an idea of starting a poem based on words that started with S. This is what I came up with."