Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

April 30, 2016

"Dreamweaver"
by Greg Brennum

I woke up startled
for a voice in my dreams
told me a story
of who I could be
He said you could climb mountains
or sail across the sea
Anything is possible if you just believe
He said cast off into the unknown 
soar above the trees
only in doing this
will you finally be free
I said
How can I possibly trust
a man I cannot see?
Then the man revealed himself
the man was atop mountain
and that man was me

"I am a liberal arts transfer student here at Nicolet. I plan on studying Journalism when I transfer away from Nicolet. I wrote this poem one morning at 4 AM when I was having a moment of pure optimism about my life."

* * * * * * * * * *

“Shadows of the Past”
By Kelly Soltis

In the distance there is a house
A vanguard of the old world;
Now a shadow of its former self.
Once full vibrant of color;
Replaced by faded colors.
Before the halls were filled with joy and laughter;
Only loneliness surrounds the old sentinel on the property now. 
The days are passing without cause leaving it feeling more empty than before.
With each sunset the house gets colder and darker; 
With each sunrise a piece of it is broken and lost. 
Many eyes see this poor lone house; 
But none have the will to change anything.  

“I work for a street department for a city. I spend my time working on old farm equipment.”