Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

April 10, 2013

“Afterlife I don't believe in”
by Amber Kellogg

You're standing there,
got that look in your eyes.
Our game’s been played
and I've won in the end.

Tears fall from almond eyes
but I can't seem to find a care.
Blackened lips curse my name,
the bird around your throat
almost deader than my eyes.

I've become the Monster,
I'll drown in ruby waters
for the choices placed on paved roads.
Cursed for an after life I don't believe in.

The Vampire has sucked out
the last of my humanity.
Only the wolf remains.
She's howling at the moon,
her soul died black
and her heart iced over.


I'm standing at the edge.
Can you push me over?
Will you push me over?
Shadows like sharks.
I'm cursed.
Cursed.
Cursed.

I'm a Monster.

“'Afterlife' was written at a time that was not the best for me and I find that sitting down and writing, whether it be a poem or a story, always helps me figure things out that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do. This poem was actually written about a person who had said those things to me and this was my way of coping with them.”

* * * * * * * * * *

No poetry by faculty/staff members for today's posting.