Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 28, 2013

“13 Ways of looking at love”
By Katelynn Bowen

Adorable
I throw the ball
And he stumbles after it.
Soft and pudgy,
Cute and cuddly
With its’ wet, black, pounding nose
Puppies make me smile

Unexpected
Long day
Hard at work
Opened the door
Him standing there
A dozen roses in his strong hand

Friendly
Mocking, shocking
No one likes me
Everybody hates me
Then she comes
And holds my hand

Fearful
Date night
Big screen
We almost kissed
But the butterflies
In my stomach
Did not agree

Mistrustful
He comes home
With the smell of her perfume
She walks to the bedroom
Not knowing what to say
She takes off through the window
To find her prince charming

Disrespectful
Walking through the school’s halls
Tripping, stumbling, people stopping
Hugs and kisses, holding hands
Not a place to show that mush affection

Respectful
Discussing, not arguing
Respected decisions
Coming to agreements
Relationship builds

Playful
Joke it up
Class clown
You hate him or you love him
Laugh so hard you cry

Abusive
Bruises, scars, teary eyes
No amount of makeup
Can hide the pain inside

Sarcastic
Plastic girl, popular
Lie to get attention
Say you love it to one person
The other, the opposite
In essence you hate the person
You just gave the compliment to look better

Withering/Dying
Work gets busy
Time consuming
I see him less and less as time rolls on
No flowers, no hugs, or kisses
It seems that our love is falling apart

Forceful
Boundaries exist, but have no limits
He grabs my hand and pulls me in
I don’t want to do anything
My heart and soul are forced to believe that this is OK.

Questioning
He’s my dream prince
I stare at him all day
One word to him might mess it all up
Should I talk to him or should I not?
* * * * * * * * * *

No poetry by faculty/staff members for today's posting.