Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

April 20, 2013

"Weary"
By Jayme Martin

Morning has come, bearing no surprises.
     As usual, the hands of time are moving faster than I.

From a cloud of peacefulness, the transition begins.
     With every ounce of my being, I lower my toes to meet the
          surface underfoot.

As if it is an invisible trigger atop an imaginary stop watch.
     The race has begun, ready or not.

Similar to that of a snail, the weight of the world sits on my back.
     I trudge through my path with lead feet.

The light is blinding, harsh, and unwelcomed.
     Thoughts flood in from every direction, causing a hazy fog
          of confusion.

My eyes meet this familiar image returning the stare.
     Yet at the same time is unrecognizable.

To whom stands before me?
     The lost soul of who once was,
          The scarred heart of who remains,
               Or is it the sight of a daydreamer?

"I have always loved writing but seldom make time for it anymore. I was glad to see the email request for submission."

* * * * * * * * * *

A Haiku
By Kelly Haverkampf

dog hair tumbleweeds / rolling across the prairie / of my kitchen floor

"I am constantly amazed at how much hair one little dog can shed. And how, exactly, does it form into balls that end up in the corner?"