Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April 3, 2013

"Mine to Ours"
By Tatum Swenson

They all thought I was happy, but they didn’t know I lied;

I wasn’t alone on the outside, but I sure was on the inside.
Nobody was ever there for me 'cause no one understood
that he was only there for fun, and just because he could.
I got sick of wearing that same old smile

that was never even true;

so without a word I parted from everything I ever knew.
I was free from all the misery but still felt so alone;
I longed to come across a love to someday call my own.
But I didn’t search for what I thought impossible to find;
It seemed that my entire life was mine and only mine.
I didn’t think to look to you because you seemed content,
but little did I know back then, you’d surely make a dent.
You found me at my very worst and gave it all your best;
My heart beat so damn hard for you, nearly out of my chest!
I felt connected to you and knew it was true love;
After you discovered me, I had nothing to be scared of.
I’m not alone anymore and won’t for eternity;
My life isn’t just mine anymore, it’s ours and always will be.

"I've been with him for almost two years, and I can't wait for many more!"
 
* * * * * * * * * *

"Eternal Recurrence of the Same"[1]
By Shane Teter

Sometimes I reject progress,
The idea of progress, that is --

        Not the futile rejection as the sword
                against the tide,
        Nor the Luddite
                rejection as the wrench
                in the machine

Rather, I reject that progress is
Anything at all (growth too) --

        That we live in circles,
                though we see lines.
        That we learn by asking,
                though we judge
                by answering.

We are forgetful fish swimming
in a bowl
of unending mystery.

[1]From Frederick Nietzsche's book The Twilight of the Idols; Or, How to Philosophize with a Hammer

"I've been reading a lot of Nietzsche lately. A lot of Nietzsche, just like I did when I was in my late 20s; I'm in my late 30s now."