Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 11, 2011

April 11, 2011

"Satisfied . . . ?"
By Caitlin Kruizenga

I am not satisfied,
I always want more.
Although I have tried,
To close that door.

The things that I desire,
Will never truly satisfy me.
For the things that I acquire,
Cannot go on to eternity.

Earthly things will lure,
While Heaven still calls.
Although they are not pure,
We will continue to fall.

The call of Heaven is finally heeded,
'Tis only there that things will stay.
In Heavenly things find all you needed,
That we will be satisfied, I pray.

"I wrote this poem at a time when I was going through a couple different things. To me, there are multiple meanings. I was struggling with wanting some things that for various reasons I could not have. This poem is a good reminder to be satisfied with what I do have and not to desire material things that will not last."


* * * * * * * * * *

"Dreams of Flight"
Anonymous