Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 8, 2011

April 8, 2011

"My Masterpiece"
Anonymous

A burst of anger
Yells out danger
No one gets the call
I slowly seem to fall
It's all locked inside
I go away and hide
So I paint a picture on my skin
My deadly sin
Clench my fist
Paint drips down my wrist
A picture to never disappear
A reminder always here
Each dreadful tear
Held so near
I thought it'd make the end
To this hell
But as far as I can tell
My picture will never go away
It'll always remind me of that day.

* * * * * * * * * *

"On Blindness and Dreams"
By Todd Mountjoy

as my right eye grows dim i pause
and wonder if my dreams will change
to reflect my new realities

questions of forgetting my world as it
now appears and changing into a world
of shadows and darkness

just as androids dream of electric
sheep do blind men drift into dreams
of a world with only four senses?

"It is frightening to be a librarian who is losing his sight as a result of diabetes. As the seasons pass and loss of my sight progresses, I have those moments when I wonder what my world will become when there will be nothing but memories of what I now see and glimpsed during my childhood . . ."