Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

April 7, 2011

"Will You Love Me . . ."
By Michelle Callahan

Will you love me in the beginning,
When there's hope, love, and faith?

Will you love me when we marry,
And look as excited with each new day?

Will you love me when our children arrive,
When the days become difficult?

Will you love me as I lose my mind,
Until our children become adults?

Will you love me when all stages pass,
When our grandchildren are grown . . . and our days are the last?

Will you love me in heaven?
I'll know if you do,
That you've always loved me,
As much as I've loved you . . .

"I have been attending Nicolet, part-time, for several years now. I wrote this poem back in 1993. I was working at a nursing home at the time and had the chance to talk with several wonderful residents who had so many great stories to share and advice to give . . . they were my inspiration! Although the poem is relatively vague, these appear to be the stages we all go through as a married couple . . . love & survival the ultimate goal!"

* * * * * * * * * *

"AMY ELIZABETH ERICA SCOTT"
By Kathleen Allen Tromp

Amy Elizabeth Erica Scott
Once came to a very invisible spot
"Is this a place, or is it not?"
Asked Amy Elizabeth Erica Scott.

She looked it over fore and aft,
To make sure she was not quite daft
She walked within and walked without
(But how did she know what was in, and what, out?)
She even in the corners peeked
To find if it was what she seeked.
I do not know quite how she found
If it was up (or was it down?)
So if you ever go somewhere
That isn't quite exactly there
Remember little Miss Amy Scott
And her invisible place that was,
And was not.

"When my kids were small, they particularly enjoyed the quirky humor in poetry by Dr. Suess, Ogden Nash (Adventures of Isabel) and Shel Silverstein (Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout). One day this poem dropped into my head, almost whole-cloth, and wrote itself in about 1/2 an hour. We've always wondered where it came from. They say everyone has a book in them. May I just had a
poem . . ."