Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 29, 2011

April 29, 2011

"Morning Dew"
By Anita Wood

Today is unlike any day before.
Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is unknown.
Do not dwell on the "what ifs",
imagine all the possibilities.
With each new sunrise, comes all
the chances to do what was not considered.
Today is unlike any day before.

* * * * * * * * * *

"This Writer"
By Kevin H. Straw, Jr.

I'd like to sit by, and watch the time go
Sit by, and listen with my eyelids low
Dreaming of the way it works

You could bend around to stay the night
Watching the streets lie without a fight
Seeing why a faith still lurks

My friends would all be sitting on the hill
Time and life zips by but we stay still
We'll never rest within the dirts

Our hands will never be caged with cuffs
Staying free was never really that tough
Waking up is still what hurts

* * * * * * * * * *

"Drama Makes the World Go 'Round"
By Nicole Weister

I hate you, I love you!
She said this, he did that.
Gossip is a drug, and you're an addict.
Story of my life is spread 'round the school.
Spreading rumors like wild fires, just trying to be cool.
They caught him cheating,
He even carried her books!
There's a field party tonight, let's go!
They're only dating because of good looks.

Brothers fighting with your boyfriend,
Trying to protect the little sis.
She screams "don't do it!"
Drama ends with a fist.

Don't talk to her, don't talk to him.
If you do I'll be mad at you!
He did that,
She said this.
Oh my god!
Did they really kiss?!
They broke up,
They got together
We've been friends for 12 years,
And they've been fighting for forever.

Does he love me, does he like her?
I really wish I knew.
Sometimes I wish I could get that damn boy,
To just stop with the chew.

Truth is everyone gossips,
It's not really a thrill.
People call you two-faced,
But for everyone it's a real easy skill.

"I wrote this in sophomore English. It just gets me because college is way different than high school, but sometimes I miss that 'she said, he said' drama! It puts a little "oomph" in your school day!"

* * * * * * * * * *

"sunrise with ginger tea"
By Janice Kanyusik

steeped
in boiled water
prickle scented
honey swirled
in an azure cup
sunlight
relaxes into sky

I linger breathe in
each spooned pool
slides sweetly
plentiful inside

a radiance its subtleness
balances
the magnitude of what we gain
we lose in the sun's brilliance

each day

I cup my tongue
a beggar's bowl