Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

April 2, 2011

"To Someone . . ."
By Caitlin Kruizenga

Alone, and feeling very very lonely,
Sad, bereft of a one and only.
Where are you my friend?
Around the wrong bend?

I am still here waiting,
You may be out dating.
Why have you not yet found me?
I miss your arms around me.

How can I miss someone I may not have met?
I know the timing is not quite right, not yet.
But I am alone and needing you,
Don't you feel that you may need me too?

I will wait for years if needed,
Until you see the call heeded.
Then, at last we will find each other,
Never, then, looking at another.

"I am a student at Nicolet College in my fourth year. I completed my degree in Culinary Arts within my first two years and am planning to graduate again this spring with degrees in Business Management and Marketing. I work at a local bakery in Rhinelander as well as dabble in a few other things as well."

* * * * * * * * * *

"Silence"
By Maureen McCloskey

to one alone
        silence whispers contentment

to one lonely
        silence weeps

to one in nature's solitude
        silence breathes of infinite worlds

. . . only those who listen shall hear

(February 1976)

"I wrote many poems during a time in my life when I had experienced a good deal of emotional upheaval. I spent many hours walking in the woods, soul-searching. This one reflects my personal growth and I believe, reflects who I am."