Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17, 2011

"Death for a Couple of Drinks"
By Kara Burrell

Just a few drinks
Will take my worries away
When night starts to sink
And morning becomes day
My head will pound
My stomach will hurt
I'll awake to see strange faces
I guess I was in the wrong places
Someone had died
I wish it would have been me
He would have been mine
If it wasn't for that damn tree
I saw it come
I saw it go
I heard him yell
I had to let go
His memory's with me
And will always be
It was time for him to go
And now it's for me

"I wrote this poem when I was a junior in high school for a class assignment. I have attempted others, but this one still gets me."

* * * * * * * * * *

"My Rainbow"
By Sheila Whitaker

It is one of those days when I am laying in bed
And memories of him dance through my head
A happy day was the day that we met
The night that he died, I'll never forget
No explanations, no second chances
No making it better, no tender glances
In a blink of my eye, everything changed
The future we planned, now rearranged
I am not the same person as I was that night
And every day without him, is an uphill fight
I still feel him beside me when I'm laying alone
Still wait in the evening for the ring of the phone
I know he's still with me lighting my way
The rainbow I see in a world of gray

"I wrote this shortly after my fiancé died of a brain aneurysm. I turned to writing at this time in my life to help me deal with difficult emotions."