Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 22, 2011

April 22, 2011

"Celestial Embrace"
By Sally Kindell

Distant     Miles
Worlds      Apart
City Skyscape
Northern Stars
Foshay Tower
Majestic Pine
Two Astronomers
Focus In . . .
I See the Moon . . .
YouAreEverNear

"When my youngest daughter was small, she would look up at the sky and recite the poem 'I See the Moon . . .' which would comfort her when her older sisters all moved far away from home. She felt closer, knowing that they also could see the moon. I wrote this poem as a way of comforting me after she moved to Minneapolis to begin college."

* * * * * * * * * *

"The Poet Empathizes with Gamers (and makes fun of them too)"
By Shane Teter

Off to United Nations Space Command,
Then on to a morning in Azeroth!
An animated, surrogate life --
We gamers move like ice on planet Hoth:
We run with our fingers; we fight with wrists;
And our tarsal bones are on-the-floor stiff.
Experience for experience points,
And memories traded for "saved game" lists:
Shall I compare you to a hydroponic
Tomato? I doubt you'll want me to.
Planted? Sunless CFLs? And Mountain Dew?
But how can I judge? I'm a gamer too.

"Because I'm old and mean, I don't really like or appreciate the games I've listed in my poem. Those games are for the young to waste their lives upon. I love real video games . . . the ones that I played when I was young and wasting my life. Games such as Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, Bard's Tale, and Baldur's Gate: That was the golden age, I tell ya."