Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

April 26, 2011

"Summer"
By Ashley Fielhauer

Fall brings the leaves,
Winter brings the snow,
Spring brings the blossoms,
Then there's the summer,
The hot lazy-like days
that bring out the people,
The cool peaceful lakes
that bring out the ducks.
Vacationing, Swimming,
Hiking, and Forgetting about school.
Camping, biking, relaxing
and watching the fireworks.
Seeing, listening, and feeling
the nature grow before us.
A time when memories are
best well remembered,
A time when there is love,
happiness and peace.
Faster the long days
start to shorten,
Leaves start to turn colors
and soon the cycle starts again.
Oh, Summer, don't be gone for long.

"Summer has always been my favorite time of the year. This is my second semester here at Nicolet, and I am going for a double major in both English and Kinesiology. I have always enjoyed writing."

* * * * * * * * * *

"Song of the New Potty"
By Shane Teter

So our old pot,
It rocked a lot:
When you had to "go",
It swayed to and fro.
Both the bowl and basin
Did much water wastin'.
A miserable crapper
With a broken flapper!

"Enough!" I said.
So off I sped
To the big box store.
Hoses, pipes and more
They had in great supply.
And potties! I had to try
To pick one with the perfect flush.
But I was in such a rush!

And I forgot
(wish I had not)
The hue of the old pot!
This matters a lot!
White? Almond? Bisque? Or Bone?
If only I had known!
When then I took a mighty risk
And I went with a lovely bisque. . . .

Installation;
Defecation:
Numbers one and two
Cheer our potty new!
Stable, "Standard", and bright:
Flush and flow are just right.
I hereby proclaim a "pwn"
For our perfect little john.

"Not all poetry captures a sublime moment, summarizes a therapy session, or offers the woe of teenage love. Some poems are silly . . . like this one."