Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 10, 2017

April 10, 2017

“Good Morning”
By Evelyn Pritchard 

I see you there on the porch swing sitting calm and still
It is a sunny morning in summer
I see your eyes closed in thought or wonder
This is your time; the rest are asleep except you and 
I see your hands reach up toward the canopy stretching out the kinks
Your sky is clear, 
crisp and colorful with the rise of the morning sun
I am invisible 
with a whoosh I cause a change in you and in the world
I see you there on the porch swing sitting calm and still
My sky is dotted with my fellow feathered friends
I see your eyes open from a sound in the house
It is early this summer but still quite late
Your time is up so I say goodbye 
I see you disappear until later when the rest want to play
Your sky is still clear but now it is blue for your day has begun

“This poem is about my mother. She would sit outside in the morning and just watch as things went by. She loved being outside and watching the birds so this poem was from the birds to her.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“Built to Fall”
By Alan Savage

This place was once a swamp,
foundations stand on spongy earth

All we do is shake.

Each spring's thaw drawing lines on boxes of our musty past

Water creeps higher.

With each new day we shift and sink,
floors warping underfoot

Boring into silt.

Creaking boards echo damp leaves in the bottom of our cups

And still we will build.

“I was once told that trying to build a life while suffering from an untreated mental illness is like trying to build a house on a bad foundation.  I wanted to try to write about the difficulty of trying to keep everything together without help.”