Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 28, 2017

April 28, 2017

Untitled
Aaron Mangerson

In hopeful dreams I see by day are silent screams I yearn by night.
The warm embrace and a subtle taste of lips flash through my mind.
My faded memories are reclaimed now bristling with luster.
Yet my heart is fraught and dreads the thought; it's all that I can muster.
This maiden fair with golden hair belongs with someone else.
So I toil away until that day I feel just what I felt.

“I'm a 33 year old single Dad trying to work towards a better future for me and my kids. I wrote this poem after bumping into an old flame from high school that kindled some long lost feeling that I had to put aside.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“Toad In the Tub”
By Macy Washow 

A tiny toad clings to the mirror above the bathroom vanity. 
My still sleep-blurred eyes mistake it for . . . 
some type of Florida roach. 

Then it leaps . . . how astounding for something so small! 
Just a toad, I sigh, amazed at what fear can do. 
His eyes bulge, astonished at our encounter. 

Relieved to be dealing with toads, not bugs, 
I try to capture him in my washcloth. 
He watches my hands come near, 
then escapes to the tub in two gigantic leaps. 

Deceived. The tub is no safe haven but a trap. 
He hops from side to side until fatigued. 
When he stops in a tub corner to rest, 
I seize my chance, swooshing down! 

Unaware that in capture lays salvation, 
he twitches inside the cloth 
until I set him down outside, 
where he hops away without giving thanks. 

Later I research “toads” and find he is a frog, not a toad at all. But things are not always what they seem. 
A toad made for a better poem.

“This is a poem I wrote while in Florida last spring about an unexpected morning encounter. I am retired and live in Lac du Flambeau.”