Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

April 15, 2017

“Where I Belong”
By Sarah Polinski

In the woods I roam
This is where I feel at home
Spring, Fall, Summer, Fun

“I am in my first year, and I’m studying dental hygiene.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“She’s in the waiting”
By Ed O’Casey

room, putting all of her energy
into staying upright.

Every cell in my body asks
me to curl into the tightest

ball possible and wink out
of existence to a pinpoint,

to bring with me the fluorescent
lights, the gravity, every grain

of dust that makes this building
a hospital, everything as it is at

this second, the last

one in which
we have two pulses.

Sometimes these things just happen—

sometimes we’re unprepared for
how the body will react.

I will collapse into
a singularity

and bring this godforsaken
building with me—when people

come here in the future, they
will find an immeasurable

pit of black that swallows their hope
before anything else.


One day, under the influence of my
own mass, a dwarf star will take shape, dispersing

itself to create a new system from
clouds of carbon. Stones, planetoids, water,
life eventually.

We’re so sorry for your loss.

[See the posting of April 13 for another poem by Ed O’Casey.]