Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

April 20, 2017

“Times”
By Savannah Rankin

She sits alone looking into the sky
Wondering where he's gone
It seemed like only yesterday 
She thought he was the one
But times change and people grow
Sometimes they grow apart
Sometimes they grow closer
Sometimes they break their hearts
Sometimes we look in wonder
Sometimes in joy or shame
Sometimes in shock 
Sometimes in love
Sometimes in awe or pain
She smiles at the stars
As it passes through her mind 
That wherever he may wander
He's still hers tonight

“I am a Nicolet transfer student striving toward graduation in these beautiful woods many of us call home.” 

* * * * * * * * * *

“Dakota”
By Paul Ehlers

When the moon is shining in my window

Reflected off of the snow below

The empty silence speaks, and my anxiety peaks, 

       And I’m ready to go

With the wind blowing from Dakota

And the sun riding low in the sky

I button up my shirt, and get on back to work, 

       And make another try

There’s an old man living by the river

He don’t get on alone too good

When the weather’s cold, he gets to feeling old

       I go and cut his wood

We’ve done quite a lot of talking

He’s got a lot of things left on his mind

Like how he used to be when he was young and free

       The things he left behind

I said I’d probably end up just like him

Reliving all the mistakes that I made

I was such a fool, I did too well in school

       I learned to be afraid
       
“This is a song I wrote a long time ago. I always have considered myself a happy-go-lucky type of person, but most of my original music contradicts this. Sort of like Faye Dunaway talking about her photographs to Robert Redford in Three Days of the Condor. I always think I write songs about other people, but maybe this isn’t accurate either.”