Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Monday, April 17, 2017

April 17, 2017

“Lessons”
By Faith Haenel

My darling as time progresses you will forget a lot of things.
You will forget the clothes you wore,
The words you spoke,
The reasons behind your ways,
Even some of the things that light up your eyes.
Soon the things you will remember will either be two things;
Near and dear to your heart strings
That they play a symphony on the acoustic draw of your breath.
Or they will be the damage,
The rust that has spread through the crust of a once polished instrument,
Used purely to play your life.
But my dear,
Heed these words.

Do not feed the toxin.
Do not be as unforgiving as the tides rushing to swallow the depths of the sand.
Do not be as hateful as the poison in a mushroom to the unknowing poverish.
Do not be as forgetting as the never-ending crowds whose hunger yearns for each bystander.

Forgive as if it is easy,
Yet trust as if your expectations are but a balance beam.
Love with all your might,
Until the very gentle caress may break your deepest sorrows.
But do not love the darkness.
Forget the mistreatment,
The pain,
The cold.
And remember the hope,
The light,
And the happiness.

“I have been writing poetry ever since I was young. I love the art that words can depict. This is my first year at Nicolet and I am working on my degree for animal rehabilitation, with a minor in journalism. I have had a lot of rough patches in my life that could possibly have been avoided, but that have made me who I am today, and this is my poem to honor that.” 

* * * * * * * * * *

No new poetry by staff or community members for today’s posting.