Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

April 12, 2017

“53”
By Kirk Kintop

Woke up this morning stuffy and a wreck.
It was my 53rd birthday so what the heck?
Should have slept longer coz I am sleepy.
But, I have more energy than 20's, it's creepy.

“I am in the Nursing Program at Nicolet. I just turned 53 years old. I am a divorced dad of four and going through a complete career makeover from I.T.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“Love Without Words”
By Macy Washow

A bark at the door, wet nose pressed against the glass.
        I open the door wide, step back to make room.
               “Come in,” I command.
But no . . .
He gives an excited “Yip,” runs the other way
        Picks up the squeaky ball.  Not the soft new one, 
               rather the old one with disintegrating ragged cover.
                    “Not now,” I say. “I’m busy.”

He drops the ball, jaws loose, head slightly cocked, eyes full of disappointment.
         I relent… pick up the new football…
               It is the old he wants, full of good scents. 
                    “Why would I want the new one when I love the                                   old one so?”

Good for three throws, savoring each return, squeaking 
       and playing tug with frayed edges then relinquishing
               rushing away to get a head start.

On the fourth, reassured that he’s loved still,
       he drops the ball not returning…off to chase squirrels
                while I return to dirty dishes in the kitchen sink.

“I currently live in Lac du Flambeau (Vilas County). We retired and moved to the Northwoods five years ago, after spending many summer vacations and cross country ski weekends at my in law’s cottage. I hope this poem hits home with every dog owner and reminds us that we are not so different from these fun companions.”