Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Thursday, April 6, 2017

April 6, 2017

“A Friendship Lost”
By Dawn Knudsen

I once saw so much beauty in the world with you around.
There was so much safety in your arms that I found.
When I met you my world felt lost and falling apart.
Scared and lonely you filled my heart.
What happened to the friend I knew.
Was it only a mirage put together with some glue?
The pieces that I put together because of you.
Yes because of my fantasy I grew stronger.
But because of my strength I realized I didn’t know you any longer.
That person I saw in you was just someone I made up to survive.
It was what I needed to stay alive.
Now that I know you and my eyes are open wide,
Sometimes I just want to go back and hide.
What I thought was friendship or love from the start.
Was instead something fake so now we will have to part.

“I once believed everyone was a friend until one day someone explained the difference between a friend and acquaintance. He asked if they hang out with you, do they come to your house, or do you just talk to them. Sometimes I have found, though, that an acquaintance can end up being a better friend than the friend ever was.”

* * * * * * * *

“Socks”
By Ocie Kilgus

Two pairs 
Visible wear
Sincere gestures 
The heart smiled back

The blue ones
Thick and warm still
Inviting me to skate 
Across wooden floors

The white ones
Thin but still holding up
To encase
My memories

Socks
Two pairs
Two men
Worn . . . with love

“For Gary and for Dad.”