Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 8, 2017

April 8, 2017

"Bathroom Stall"
By Lacey Tatro

The guy I was hitting on all night took one look at my friend and was gone. 
In a moment I realized no matter how
funny
smart
cool 
or like him
I am not pretty enough.
There is just something about me
That puts guys off.
Like my personality is forceful 
And loud.
I demand
Because I know who and what
I want.
It just happened to be him for an hour.
And that’s intimidating.
I spiral and become sad.
His actions spoke louder than my words
Ever could.
So I go into a bathroom 
And cry.
For the first time since
high school.
And I can feel the icy hand of my depression like a vice on my 
skull
I fight off my thoughts but the grip tightens.
I remember those who betray me and don’t really care and those 
that
would leave me once again
In a bathroom stall.
I am powerful.
I am strong.
One day I will kick that door down again 
But right now.
The grip is too strong. 
So here I will remain.
In a bathroom stall. 

“I'm 19. I'm going to school for acting. I read comic books, watch a lot of movies, and write. I've often felt like an outcast. I've had to deal with some stuff, and art has really helped me. I'm not always the girl I show in my poem, but my insecurities do grab me sometimes.”

* * * * * * * * * * *

“Tiny Talks”
By Karissa Thurn

Tiny talks
Little wind
A smile to start the end
Small whispers
A grudge
In my heart I know we’re just friends
He’s worried we’ll be
Something too amazing
The stars shine
But we’re both just spacing
Is this what you want?
Because in my mind I overthink
I'm worried your heart will start to shrink
But maybe,
I’ll be enough
But maybe,
We’re just drunk on the
Tiny talks
Little winds
A smile to start the end

“I'm 14. I love writing, painting, and doing theatre with my two best friends, Jack and Will. This poem is/was about a boy I met over the summer and gained a crush on. I was madly in love, but then he stopped talking to me. I was upset and hurt (still kinda am).