Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 21, 2017

April 21, 2017

“Happy Times”
By Hunter Berwig

As you smell the flowers
You realize that spring is here
All of the creatures 
Are coming alive again
The new year is here again

"My name is Hunter. I am currently a student at Nicolet College. I wrote this poem during my senior year for a poetry project in my creative writing class. This brings a lot of memories to mind because I am a very outdoors kind of person."

* * * * * * * * * *

Untitled
By Andrew Bontz

Ten years ago I dreamt of you
You making me happy
Happy beyond my wildest dreams
Dreams so vivid and far off
Off in the distance
Distance only the imagination could see

Four years ago I met you
You with your stunning beauty
Beauty beyond my dreams
Dreams of past years come true
True thoughts, true dreams, true passion

I’ve always been the one dreaming
Dreaming of how love works
I always thought When? Where? How? What?

When did it happen?
It was in the house on prospect.
It was an awkward first date when I tried to cook
It was building up the courage to have our first kiss
It was holding you in my arms as you drift off to sleep
It was bringing home our very own puppy

Where did it happen?
In our many nights at the Franklin house
Seeing how beautiful you looked at formals
Having fun with my brothers at the fraternity house
Relaxing back in Rhinelander
It was deciding Madison is where we are going to make our home

How does it work?
It is the tingle I feel inside whenever I see you
Like hundreds of explosions of happiness in my heart
The spark I feel when our lips meet
How I want to hold you and never let you go
The way you fit on my shoulder like a puzzle piece

What is love?
It is knowing that you are my one true love
Love that overwhelms me every moment we are together
Together forever.

“This is one of my favorite poems that I have written since I read it to my wife right before I proposed to her.”