Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Friday, April 7, 2017

April 7, 2017

We
By Evelyn Pritchard

We a word that has described armies 
We the word that units the crowd as one
We the few, the proud, the people
We has caused meek men to stand and fight 
but We can cause a pain that makes a heartache
We can make some want to scream, “It’s me! Just me!! 
I don’t want to be a part of your We!!!!”
A word can unify but desecrate 
Simplify but discriminate
all because a part of a We just wants to be a Me.

“This poem was written during a time in my life when I felt that everyone around me wanted me to fit into their little boxes and be uniform with everyone else. I felt that even though being a part of the group is really good and helpful, sometimes you just have to be you and stand out.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“ATLANTIC”
By Tazia Oxendine

the acid tang in my throat
from your terrible antics
arise and arose 
on the cider-colored coast 

as you dance to the sand
and the ocean's decor
and the noise of the shore
I allow my waves to rinse you clean
and accept your apology once more

the satin curls of your eyes
you're correct, are in fact my demise
you catch me in lies
you traced my mind
soul, body, and brain
left me in pain
then apologized.

here we are again
brought together once more
by the satin curls of your eyes
and the noise of the shore.

“This poem is about someone very special named Karissa Thurn, my best friend.”