Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 10, 2012

"La Luna"
By Elizabeth Fredrickson

I look up at the night sky and look at the moon,
The moon makes me think of you,
Are you thinking of me like I do you?
It reminds me of how I miss you,
Miss your beautiful, kind eyes and smile,
The warmth of a hug from you.
The moon makes me wonder,
Do you miss me?
Do you love me?
When I look at the moon,
A tear falls from my eye,
The hope that you’re looking at it too brings a smile.
Hope that maybe even though we’re miles apart,
We’ll be together again,
That you love and miss me.
Hope that even when time passes,
We’ll always mean something to each other.

**********

Yo miro el cielo nocturno y miro la Luna,
La Luna me hace pensar,
¿Estás pensando en mí como también en ti estoy pensando?
Me recuerda cómo te extraño,
Extraño tu sonrisa y tus ojos bellos y amables,
La calidez de un abrazo de ti.
La Luna me hace pensar,
¿Me echas de menos?
¿Me quieres?
Cuando miro la Luna,
Una lágrima cae de mis ojos,
La esperanza de que la estás viendo también trae una sonrisa.
Esperanza que tal vez aunque estamos a millas de distancia,
Que estemos juntos de nuevo,
Que me ames y me extrañes.
La esperanza de que aun cuando pasa el tiempo,
Siempre va a decir algo entre nosotros.

I wrote this poem one night last summer when I was missing a close friend, and I looked from my window and wrote down my thoughts about this person.

* * * * * * * * * *

"summer day"
By Janice Kanyusik

the forest is dancing
with the summer day
leaping from sunlight
to shadows
to sunlight
twirling in the air
above slender
mossy ridges
like a monarch
pirouetting
over milkweed
and singing trees

I work as a Counselor at Nicolet College. I enjoy reading poetry and also love the process of writing poems.