Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 25, 2012

"Lifeless Utopia"
By Scott McKenzie

Genetic transfer, finger to finger,
This hand a replica of that hand.
Start by one, end by imagination,
Create a perfect world -- strip uniquity.

Straight-lined mouth pursed in silence.
Dull blue eyes with a lifeless gaze.
Uniformity gives birth to utopia,
Monopoly of the 'us' -- erase the "them".

Perfect people in a perfect world.

I'm pretty sure the general situation described here doesn't appeal to most people. For me, it really hints more at a dystopia, somewhat similar to the one proposed in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Also, the catalyst for me writing this poem was reading about cloned bananas, which is sort of hinted at by the first two lines but very quickly went off track. (Banana trivia: a bunch of banana fruits, or a tier, is called a hand while a single fruit is called a finger.)

* * * * * * * * * *

"Are You Being Honest Abe?"
By Jim Jarvis

While working at the middle school
I did not have students pass papers forward.
I walked up and down the rows and collected papers.
I said "Thank you" to each student as I collected the paper.
One day a colleague asked, "Do you really mean it when you say
     thank you?"
What a strange question.

A kindgergarten student looked at the teacher
and said, "Boy you sure smile hard."
Was the teacher's smile sincere?

It has been told that one time Abraham Lincoln said
Something to the effect -- I dont' like him. I need to get to
     know him.
Did he really believe that if you got to know people you would find
That all people have something likeable about them?

The next time you are at the grocery store
And there is a kid screaming, "I want candy! I want candy!
     I want candy!"
Will you say to yourself,
"If I could get to know that child . . . "

I like to think there is goodness in everyone. Even though sometimes it can be a challenge, it seems like a goal worth reaching for. Then I wonder if I am that challenge for others.