Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 15, 2012

"I Wish We Were Together"
By Rachel L. Yeomans

I wish we were together
Like as I see us in my dreams
And things are well and all just seems
Approved, as people view our team
Just you and me.

I have been undecided
I wished I could've loved you more
With such sweet love our hearts would soar
But now at last I've slammed the door
On you, my dear.

I thought the deed was finished
But as I stand my eyes drop tears
As you are no longer so near
This aching act my heart won't bear
I've lost your love.

I felt so strangely empty
I could not well get over it
My soul was stubborn and just bit
Refusing to let me forget
Your all and all.

To tell you, that was harder
You stared and took it like a man
But in your eyes I found I'd scanned
Such hurt I'd die for if I can
I've stabbed my friend!

Why is love so confusing?
I wished I hadn't had a heart
And wanted so to take your part
Clear up your pain, pull out the dart
And take it back.

Our love could not be erased
It was so true it stood the test
And had accepted what was best
We healed our wounds and turned to rest
But were not calmed.

It's not like we were strangers
Living with how it had to be
You still were there to befriend me
And we could still smile and see
The care we felt.

And now we close the chapter
Our altered love remained quite fond
We shared a softer, special bond
We were good friends as we went on
Just never married.

Written in spring 2011, a story about a breakup.

* * * * * * * * * *

No poetry by faculty/staff members for today's posting.