Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

April 14, 2012

"Panic-Stricken"
By Scott McKenzie

Heart skips a beat;
Inhale, exhale . . .
Inhale, exhale . . .
Stop!

Breathe -- quicker now, shallow still.
Chest constricts, hands clench.
Right lip tilts up, teeth attack.

Eyelids shut, darkness engulfs;
Deep breath . . .
Deep breath again, count to ten . . .
No good.

Gnaw on lip, stop before bleeding.
Switch sides, resume gnawing.
Sweat bead trickles down face.

Clock ticks, then it tocks;
Wish to be somewhere else . . .
Wish for it to end . . .
Almost there.

Open eyes,
darkness vanishes.
Breath steadies, hands relax.
Long sigh, lips turn up.

All over . . .

This is for all of you people who have certain things that nearly make you go into a panic attack . . . say public speaking, for example. Deep breaths don't work for these situations; whoevever told me that was silly (I love you anyway). At least for me, true calm comes after whatever is making me anxious ends. And say it is public speaking. When it is over, I can smile and say "I made it" while praying that I won't have to go through that again anytime soon. Then I'll have my hopes dashed, of course.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Fortunate Feet"
By Christian Meier

Scent of wood smoke

                    from

back-yard   camp-fire

beneath   full-moon's   amused gaze

                    is good.


Now accompanied

               by

distant   loon   cry

across clear water lake

all shifts: suddenly sublime.


Tonight dancing there will be

with starlight and cricket song.


What a treat

               for

my fortunate feet!

This poem travelled down my arm one night while I sat next to a campfire under the stars in my backyard next to a lake in the north woods.