Guidelines

Guidelines: (1) Include your name, the title of your original poem, and a brief comment about yourself; (2) Poems may be in any language (please include an English translation); (3) Poems may not violate Nicolet's Social Media Guidelines; (4) Original poems may be submitted anonymously; (5) Submit poems to Ocie Kilgus (okilgus@nicoletcollege.edu). Students who submit original poems are eligible for the Best Original Poem contest. The student with the best poem will be awarded the Ron Parkinson Poetry Matters Student Scholarship Award in the amount of $300. The community member with the best poem will receive dinner for two at Church Street Inn, Hazelhurst. Upon the closing of the Poetry Project, a faculty committee will select the winning poems. The winners of the contest will be recognized at Nicolet College's Award Ceremonies on May 10.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

April 7, 2012

"The Ghost"
By Stefanie Frisch

The light has gone dim
My world is covered with a dusky haze
All that I see is like in a cloud
A cloud that is dark and repressive
These feelings inside want to rip me apart
Tearing, clawing, and ripping my heart
My greatest desire is just out of reach
Forever beyond what I can achieve
So great, so strong, I can barely breathe
A force so beyond that of mortality
It possesses, controls, every aspect of my life
There is no escaping its almighty hold
Eternally bound to a single life force
An attempt at escape would be suicidal
For my life can no longer exist on its own
It needs that force, needs it to be near
So priceless, so rare, it is my treasure
A treasure I need, yet cannot attain
My soul has been thwarted beyond my control
A spell has been cast upon that rare treasure
Forever destroying my dearest of dreams
Making that treasure like unto a ghost
I can see it, and touch it, even hold it in my arms
But yet I can never call it my own
For all of my life I will go on like this
Bound forever to that unattainable treasure
So close I can touch it, and hold it to me
But also so far, it's beyond the Sea
A Sea I will never be able to cross
For a spell such as this cannot be undone

I am 22 years old. I have earned a Liberal Arts Associate of Arts degree and will be earning my Associate of Science degree in May. I scored in the top 1% nationwide on my English ACT and tested out of all college English and Composition requirements. My hope is to eventually become a profiler for law enforcemente.

This poem is one I think that many people can relate to at some point in their life. At some point we all lose something or want something that we realize will never be ours. Be it losing someone we love, or having one of our dreams dashed.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Day Birth"
Anonymous

     White bright seeping up
behind black silhouettes of trees

Frost twinkling, winking welcoming
the solar majesty's arrival

     Slowing rising from the night's veil,
          shroud of secrecy, she arches the horizon like a
               woman's back in sexual ecstacy

                          Beams ripen through the
                          Forest's fingers.

                               The great spirit of new life
                               Enters my chest as I
                                    breathe in
                                         Her splendor